Sony PlayStation 5: How to buy, price, preorder, release date – Business Insider
When you buy through our links, we may earn money from our affiliate partners. Learn more.
- Sony will launch the PlayStation 5 on November 12 with a $500 standard model and a $400 digital edition with no disc drive.
- Online preorders have already started showing up at select retailers, including Best Buy, GameStop, Target and Walmart, but stock appears to be limited.
- Sony confirmed the PlayStation 5’s price for the first time during a September showcase that included footage of “Final Fantasy XVI,” “Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales,” and “Resident Evil VIII.”
- Sony is also extending invites to PSN members to preorder a PS5 directly via an email invite.
- We’ll update this post with more preorder and purchase details as soon as they become available.
- See also: Microsoft’s Xbox Series X will launch on November 10 for $499 — here’s how to preorder the console on September 22
Sony’s PlayStation 5 will launch on November 12 with a standard edition priced at $500 and a digital edition with no disc drive priced at $400.
Sony confirmed the new console’s price during a September showcase event that also included gameplay trailers for upcoming titles like “Spider-Man: Miles Morales,” “Final Fantasy XVI,” and “Resident Evil: Village.” Other confirmed PlayStation 5 titles include “Gran Turismo 7” and “Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart.”
The PlayStation 5 will be available first in North America, Japan, Mexico, Austrailia, New Zealand, and South Korea, followed by a worldwide launch on November 19.
The PlayStation 5 will compete with two new Xbox consoles for the affection of gamers throughout the 2020 holiday season. Microsoft confirmed that the $299 Xbox Series S and $499 Xbox Series X will be available on November 10, just two days before the PlayStation 5.
The PlayStation 4 is the most popular video-game console of its generation, having sold more than 100 million units worldwide since November 2013. While new PlayStation and Xbox consoles are just a few months away, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles are selling out amid the coronavirus pandemic and shelter-in-place orders.
Preorders for the PlayStation 5 are live now at Target and Walmart and others on social media have reported being able to preorder the console in person at GameStop stores. We’ll continue to update this post as preorders become available at other stores.
Updated on 9/16/2020 by Kevin Webb: Added official price and release date details for the PlayStation 5.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Reviews team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.